By Wilson C. Chin
Wave propagation is valuable to all components of petroleum engineering, e.g., drilling vibrations, MWD dust pulse telemetry, swab-surge, geophysical ray tracing, ocean and present interactions, electromagnetic wave and sonic purposes within the borehole, yet not often taken care of carefully or defined in actually clinical phrases, even for a unmarried self-discipline. Wilson Chin, an MIT and Caltech expert scientist who has consulted across the world, presents an built-in, finished, but readable exposition overlaying all the mentioned issues, supplying insights, algorithms and verified tools by no means prior to released. A must on each petroleum engineering bookshelf! specifically, the book:
- Delivers drillstring vibrations types coupling axial, torsional and lateral motions that expect rate-of-penetration, bit leap and stick-slip as they rely on rock-bit interplay and bottomhole meeting properties,
- Explains why catastrophic lateral vibrations on the impartial element can't be saw from the skin even in vertical wells, yet offering a confirmed technique to keep away from them,
- Demonstrates why Fermat's "principle of least time" (used in geophysics) applies to non-dissipative media in basic terms, yet utilizing the "kinematic wave conception" built at MIT, derives robust equipment appropriate to common attenuative inhomogeneous media,
- Develops new ways to dust acoustics and making use of them to MWD telemetry modeling and robust transients in smooth swab-surge applicagtions,
- Derives new algorithms for borehole geophysics interpretation, e.g., Rh and Rv in electromagnetic wave and permeability in Stoneley waveform research, and
- Outlines many extra purposes, e.g., wave loadings on offshore systems, classical difficulties in wave propagation, and extensions to fashionable kinematic wave theory.
These disciplines, very important to all field-oriented actions, are not handled as finite point functions which are easily gridded, "number-crunched" and displayed, yet as clinical disciplines deserving of transparent rationalization. common effects are rigorously inspired, derived and utilized to real-world difficulties, with effects demonstrating the significance and predictive functions of the recent methods.